Birds Eye View of Addy, 1900 Addy: The Crossroads

Addy was founded by Gotlieb Fatzer, who owned a grist mill on the Colville river. In 1890 George Seal established a post office and named the town Addy after his sister. Mr. Seal and E.S. Dudrey opened a general store and ran the post office. Dudrey, Seal’s brother in law, did some milling and in 1898 started another store in town. Addy never officially ‘boomed,’ but grew rapidly in 1898-1900 when it became a prime railroad shipping point for the Le Roi Mine in Rossland. There were also three sawmills and three marble quarries near town. Mr. Fatzer gave the original site of Addy to the Seal Family at the time of his death. Mrs. Seal cared for Mr. Fatzer in the last year of his life. Addy Dudrey was the first white woman to live in Addy. There were many settlers around, but most of the men married Native American women. In 1902 Addy had three general stores, one meat market, a millinery, a drug store, a black smith shop, two saloons, one livery stable, two hotels, a post office and a depot. The Seals considered Addy a perfect spot be-cause it combined good stands of timber, marvelous farmland and a soft-water creek.



Main St. Addy, 1914 Hotel at Addy


Crime Doesn’t Pay in Addy

     In 1898 or ’99 E.S. Dudrey received a phone call informing him that two thieves had robbed a man in Bossberg and they were heading south. Two suspicious looking men stepped down from the train at about the same time Dudrey hung up the phone. They stopped to eat breakfast at the Seal’s Hotel and Mr. Dudrey accosted them, but he was not armed. "He found himself looking into the barrel of a gun. He was told to get out of the way, since he had no choice he had to allow them to escape." They were from out of town and fled in the wrong direction across the railroad tracks. Mr. Dudrey assembled a group of men and the robbers accidentally ran into the river and were forced to swim across. One was shot and killed as he was getting out of the river and the other was shot in the hand and captured. He was thrown in the Colville jail, but because there was not enough evidence to convict him he was turned loose. Nobody ever heard what became of him. (Statesman-Examiner 1975)