Dunn: High in the Hills
Dunn was named after Peter Dunn, a bachelor who settled down in the old Hopkin’s place. A mountain, a creek, and the post office all bore his name as well. Dunn is credited with not only naming his small settlement, but also creating the name for Summit Valley by saying, "Well, we’re right near the summit, and this is a fine valley—so why don’t we call it Summit Valley."
The Dunn school formed in 1892 and pupils attended classes in a log building on Raber Lake. When there were extremely severe winters, classes had to be rescheduled to the summer months. The Pearson children all went to school in Dunn and Jim Pearson recalls a hot afternoon of mischief. "One such instructor Mrs. Ruby Smith, who to escape the sweltering heat of the schoolroom, led her students to the shade of a huge fir tree which stood on the grounds.
Jim recalled, ‘As Mrs. Smith became absorbed in the book she was reading to the class, one by one the children cautiously edged out of her sight to escape to pleasanter activities, until only a handful remained to hear the end of the story—and the teacher still unaware that most of her audience had vanished!’" (Alpha Naff, The Last Bell)
In 1907 two school districts were joined and a new building was constructed closer to the county road. By 1912 the town of Dunn had faded from the scene, and today remains only in our memories.