Crossroads on the Columbia Digital Archive
In 2008, Stevens County Washington was awarded a Preserve America grant through the National Park Service. Stevens County is now building the Crossroads on the Columbia Digital Archive. The objectives of this project are
1) to preserve digital copies of documents, pictures and artifacts both public and private
2) to share those stories between researchers and the public via the Internet
3) to support our local museums
4) to organize the materials we have into themes that can be used for auto tours, books, media and other interpretation to attract heritage tourism and
5) to inventory the materials in our museums.
The grant covers $81,000 of this $174,000 project. The majority of the matching portion will be accounted for as in-kind contributions from volunteer “History Detectives”. The History Detectives will inventory, scan and dig up background information on 22,000 images and document pages that are estimated to need preservation. The Federal portion will go to support staff and the museums themselves.