The Washington State Department of Military Museum details the formation and history of the territorial militia and national guard units in seven pdf files.
- Vol 2. Washington Territorial Militia in the Indian Wars of 1855-56 included a few reports from the Colville area.
- Vol 3. Washington Territorial Militia in the Civil War includes a summary of units, personnel and actions in the Colville area.
- Vol 4. Washington National Guard in the Phillipine Insurrection includes reports of activity at Fort Colville and the surrounding area. Brigadier General Nelson A. Miles in 1880-81, commanding the Department of the Columbia reported on troops constructing military roads from Fort Colville to Fort Spokane and Fort Colville to Camp Spokane. Includes the report of General Sherman’s visit to the area in 1883 with extensive details of the trip from Fort Spokane to Fort Colville on the military road. Report refers to Chewellah as better known as Brown’s.
- Vol 5. Washington National Guard in World War I includes information about the Guard (Army and Naval) prior to the war and reports of personnel who died during the war.
- Vol. 6 Washington National Guard in World War II includes report of a Reserve unit at Chewelah on May 20, 1942 and Colville on 9 May 1942.
- Vol 7 Washington National Guard in Post World War II: Reports on the re-organization of the National Guard, Guard personnel efforts in the 1948 Floods, extensive summary of the Korean War by Army and Air Force units and includes reports of personnel lost during the Korean War listed by county.
- Company D, 161st Infantry at Colville was activated on 29 June 1953 and became Company D, 1st Btl Group, 161st Infantry in 1959. 1963 saw another reorganization and the unit became Company B (2nd Rifle Plat) 1st Bn, 161 Infantry. The Colville Armory was constructed in 1856.
- Heavy Mortar Company, 161st Infantry at Chewelah was converted, redesignated or re-organized 1 Nov 1952, the Mortar Plat Company D, 161st became the 3rd R & W Plat, Company A, 1st Btl, 161st Infantry in 1959. The Chewelah Armory was under construction in 1953.
Fort Colville, located three miles northeast of the current City of Colville, was established June 20, 1859. Initial troops were from the Company A and Company E of the Ninth Infantry under command of Capt. Pinkney Lugenbeel.
- November 1861 to July 1862, Companies C and D of the California Volunteers of the 2nd Voluntary Infantry.
- July 1862 – May 1865, two companies of the Washington Territory Volunteers
- May 1865 – November 1865, one company of Oregon Volunteers
- November 1865 – May 1867, one company of the Fourteenth U.S. Infantry
- May 1867 – June 1872, various companies of the 23rd Infantry
- June 1872 – June 1875, Company E, 21st U.S. Infantry.
- May 1875 – Additional reinforcements by Company M, 1st Calvary in May 1875 and Company L, 1st Calvary in June 1875. The Calvary departed October 1877.
- October 1877 – 2nd Infantry returned.
- November 1879 – A company of the 1st Calvary reinforced the 2nd Infantry.
U.S. Fort Colville was ordered closed September 20, 1882.
More information about the U.S. troops and members of the American Border Commission is available in Colville Collection Book Two: Military Fort Colville by Patrick J. Graham A history of Military Fort Colville (1859-1882) including its officers, and historical manuscripts of events of that period in Colville and northeastern Washington. ….169 pages plus index. Book is available at NeWGS
Civil War Veterans Buried in Stevens County by Roger W. May Information on almost 300 veterans who are buried in or have lived in Stevens County ….219 pages with 217 photos. Book is available at NeWGS
“World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel from Washington” at the National Archives. Query for the exact title; go to the Digital Copies tab, and page through to Stevens County to view those service members who died during WWII.
Stevens County Vietnam War Casualties at USGenWeb.