Geno Ludwig, teacher and historian, lives in Chewelah and has donated to the archive a slide show on the history of the Colville Road from Fort Walla Walla to Fort Colville. This presentation fits exactly into the Crossroads on the Columbia theme and is a great introduction to Stevens County history as well as the Crossroads websites. Check the Colville Road Slide Show.
Military Fort Colville was established in 1859 by Captain Pinkney Lugenbeel. He brought 36 wagons from Walla Walla to an area just north of the current city of Colville. The road was later named the “Colville Road” or the “Colville Military Road” and was the oldest pioneer highway in eastern Washington. It tied into the Oregon Trail at Walla Walla. The first route along the Colville River was subject to problems with flooding and an all-weather road was needed to supply the fort.