Military Fort Colville was established in 1859 by Captain Pinkney Lugenbeel. He brought 36 wagons from Walla Walla to an area just north of the current city of Colville. The road was later named the “Colville Road” or the “Colville Military Road” and was the oldest pioneer highway in eastern Washington. It tied into the Oregon Trail at Walla Walla. The first route along the Colville River was subject to problems with flooding and an all-weather road was needed to supply the fort.
Filed under: Wagon Trails